This page has moved to a new address.

2011: IT'S OVER!!!

Ever Evolving Primate: Travel, photography, food, cooking, and just about anything else.: 2011: IT'S OVER!!!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: IT'S OVER!!!

2011 was a great year. It was also a pretty tumultuous year, I mean, hell, we moved HALF WAY AROUND THE WORLD. While there's plenty to be thoughtful and write about for this year...and I'm sure I will...I think the best obligatory year end blog type for this year is a list. The top 11 awesome things that happened in 2011.

1. I got engaged to the most beautiful and awesome lady on the planet...in the solar system...the universe...and any parallel universes.



Right there, on that couch, in that lounge, at the Incheon International Airport. On the way to Bali. Perfect way to start an awesome vacay.

2. We went to Bali.

Bali is all at once the most beautiful and mysterious place that I've ever been, and I got to go with a really special lady right after a really special occasion. Not a lot of Americans go there because it's expensive and in a country that we fear for one reason or another, but I'm sure glad we did.


3. I've lived as an expat and worked in another country

I've always wanted to, now I've done it. And we're doing it again next year!

4. I spent a week in New York




Another thing I always wanted to do. It was a great week and a great way to see one of the coolest places in the homeland before moving off to Korea for a year (or two).


5. Cherry Blossoms



Cherry blossom trees are one of the most iconic springtime images you can conjure up when you imagine what Asia might be like.

6. Seoul




It takes less than 2 hours by high speed rail to get to Seoul, and it's awesome every time we go. It's the 2nd largest metro area in the world, or something like that, and it's got a frenetic energy that keeps pumping. I'm happy to have been here in 2011.

7. Chicago



After our trip to New York, we stopped in Chicago to visit with some friends and see the sites. It was a great visit. It's always good to reconnect with good people, and it's also always great to visit a wonderful city with a lot to offer. Also...omg food.

8. Art, Art, Art

2011 has been the year of the art museum for us. We have visited: The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Art Institute in Chicago, and the ARMA museum in Bali. We've seen more brush strokes in 2011 than I've seen in my entire life...and it's great.

9. Books, books, books

I've read a bunch of books in 2011. A good reason is the advent of the Kindle app for iPod Touch...I have a whole library with me every time I get on the subway...plus books in English are a welcome respite from living in a world where you don't speak the language. I think my favorite of the year is the entire Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.

10. Mud


The Boryeong Mudfest was a fun, dirty time on the beach in July. Daecheon Beach is a surprisingly nice beach (honestly, when you think of Korea beaches aren't the first thing that come to mind, right?) and it was fun to get slathered with mud and act like a moron for a day.

11. The Ocean

The irrational anger I felt at the entire ocean after my diving career went from exciting to crap got swallowed up in somewhere in the Java Sea when Carolyn and I rolled over the edge of a tiny wooden boat. It was more beautiful than I ever imagined it would be, and it was so much fun to be underwater with my lady watching the reef drift by. I'm looking forward to diving on our next vacation to a tropical locale.


So those are what I can think of right now, as the coolest 11 things about 2011. I'm looking forward to 2012 and all the years that will follow. Things are good right now. 2009 was hard, 2010 was hard, but 2011 was really kind and nice. 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home