This page has moved to a new address.

My Big Fat Korean Birthday

Ever Evolving Primate: Travel, photography, food, cooking, and just about anything else.: My Big Fat Korean Birthday

Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Big Fat Korean Birthday

In my last post I talked about the last decade and some of the things I hope to accomplish during my 30th year. That was all the night before my birthday, and I think I'm on a good start for some of the new goals. I'm well on my way to finding a German pen pal, I've completed the first section of my Deutche-Welle course, and I'm signed up for a BBC French course. Anyway though, this post isn't about all of that, but I must mention that I actually feel older now. Like concerned about heart health and stroke and that kind of thing.

Carolyn woke me up at 7:00am on my birthday with...24 Krispy Kreme donuts. What a treat! :) Work was a snap, and two of my classes even sang to me. It was super cute. After work Carolyn made me close my eyes while she brought in my gift. She got me a REALLY nice hand made concert-sized ukulele that's MUCH more playable than the one I bought off a hawker in Bali. I mean, MUCH more playable. I can rock on this thing. So far I've got three or four songs I can make it through without much difficulty but I'm hoping to change that to "I rock and yes I take requests" very soon. She also got me an iPod speaker that's shaped like an old fashioned radio. It's super cool. It's a lot more birthday gift action than I ever expected, and we really enjoy making music noise together.

We went out for a nice dinner at Italy Italy, our favorite Italian restaurant here in Daegu, and stopped by Choi Gane where Carolyn picked up a super good chocolate cake with macaroons on top for my birthday. IT ROCKED. Somehow I sacked out in bed at around 11pm or so, thinking that it was the best birthday ever.

After a busy Friday at work, we went out with friends to celebrate a bit more. We started out at a Dog and Cat Cafe downtown. I enjoyed a green tea latte and some pets, and I think our small band-of-misfit-toys group of friends did, too. Then we headed out for a beer, stayed for two, and then moved over to a multibang for some fun. The Multi-Bang is a combination of different types of bangs or "rooms" that Koreans rent for entertainment. It started out with Wii bowling, turned into Dance Central, and quickly devolved to karaoke. The evening rocked along until about 3am when we were all too tired to continue. A cab ride home ended the evening in not-so-spectacular but comfortable fashion. We slept until nearly 2pm and spent the rest of the day recovering from such a fun-filled evening. 

I'd say this was probably my favorite birthday I remember since about the 5th grade, so kudos to Carolyn for making it super happy and fun filled when it could have in all honestly been a lonely day far from home. It's super nice to have someone that loves you that much. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home