This page has moved to a new address.

Today's self-improvement idea

Ever Evolving Primate: Travel, photography, food, cooking, and just about anything else.: Today's self-improvement idea

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Today's self-improvement idea


The other day I read an article on Lifehacker about 10 desired skills you can teach to yourself. Two of them struck me as things that might look good on a resume or otherwise make finding work easier in the future. Since it's mid-term week at my school I really don't have a whole hell of a lot to do, so today I watched the four part series on how to code.

The coding he teaches is JavaScript, and I'm not wholly unfamiliar with the process of coding altogether. It's been a long time, but I was one of the top students in my Computer Science class way back in 1998. Yeah, that was a long, long time ago, but I still remember a bit of C++ and think that it would be easy enough to relearn. Hell if I can relearn a whole language I can relearn simple coding and logic. I'm not sure how useful C++ is anymore, but Java is certainly not too complicated from what I learned today. I just need to find a progressive series of tutorials or perhaps a book to give me some direction to grow in. This might be my next big project for this year of way-more-than-I'll-likely-ever-have-again-free-time. I think if I could learn JavaScript and ActionScript I'd be in a pretty good place.

The other series I started to watch before the students and teachers returned to the office making it too loud to concentrate is "how to make a website." I'm not new to HTML, but it's been quite a while since I've used it. I don't think it'll be any problem to pick up again. I have zero experience with CSS though, so I've got plenty to learn there. I think that learning HTML and CSS will help with the JavaScript and ActionScript too.

Now, so much to learn, so little time. Today I wish I would have double majored in German language and Information Systems in college. Oh well, you can learn anything you want to know for the price of a few library late fees right? Time to get cracking on my code.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home