This page has moved to a new address.

Flyaway Friday: Santorini

Ever Evolving Primate: Travel, photography, food, cooking, and just about anything else.: Flyaway Friday: Santorini

Friday, July 6, 2012

Flyaway Friday: Santorini

TGIFF again! This week blew by in a blur of "never really caught up from last weekend" fueled by copious amounts of coffee. It's Flyaway Friday again and I haven't even had time to think about where I'd fly off to today if money, time, distance, and those pesky laws of physics weren't in the way. Of course, it's not really like I have to think about it all that much to tell you that I'd much rather be on the island of Santorini, in Greece right now.

Oia, Santorini - photo by BlueEyedA73 on Flickr
My reasons for wanting to go to Santorini right now are pretty simple. White buildings, blue ocean, blue skies, colorful doors, and food! I love Greek food, and I imagine that it tastes better when you're actually in Greece. In a fantasy world (you know, like the one that Flyaway Friday exists in) I'd be overlooking the ocean, perhaps next to a nice pool, with a Greek salad on my left side, a platter of souvlaki on my right, and a glass of wine. Because that's not enough, I'd also like to have Carolyn dressed up as Aphrodite feeding me Carolyn and I olives and fanning me us with palm fronds while I read The Iliad and throw a munch on all that grub and Carolyn enjoys a stack of magazines printed in English (nearly impossible to find in Korea, don't judge us.)

Even though I'm sitting in a desk in a country with its own ancient history, Greece has an ancient history to which I can relate. It's not that I don't think Korean history is interesting, it's that I already know many of the stories of Greek history. I think that anyone who has grown up in western civilization has at least some knowledge of Greek mythology. I'd really like to see some of the places where people worshiped those gods and goddesses I've read so much about.

So there you go, Flyaway Friday. My pick is Santorini. Where on earth would you like to fly away to today?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At July 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Mom said...

Be prepared to take many door photos! The shadows are even beautiful. You can walk to the point on the island where supposedly the most beautiful sunsets are and there are a lot of good photo ops on the way as well as on the way back at dusk. I want to go back!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home